[turba] Problems with GAL and ActiveSync

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 17:18:24 UTC 2018

I am running Horde 5.2.17, with Dovecot, Exim and Postgresql. I have
enabled ActiveSync and it is technically working, but I have several
issues with it:

1. Although in the Turba global configuration I select "None" for
$conf[gal][addressbook], when I go back into it it reads "contacts" - no
matter how many times I do it.

2. Although I make sure an individual user account has his/her own
address book, and then make sure that is the default address book in
Turba settings, when I connect an iPhone ( iPhone 6, iOS 11.3) in
Exchange mode to it, on the iPhone, under Contacts -> Groups (which
seems to be Apple speak for address books), I only see:

     "All <username> "

       and under it

     "<username> Global Address List"

First of all, there should be no Global Address List - as I have
presumably disabled it - then, what seems to be happening is that Horde
doesn't expose the account's default address book, which is user's own
address book, but only the Global Address Book, over ActiveSync.

The only way to get the sync working seems to be to enable multiple
address book support in the sync settings, in Turba, for the individual
user account. And even then, the user's address book still doesn't get
sent to the device as the default address book.