[horde] Re: [whups] Workflow (was Re: [cvs] commit: ...)

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu Nov 21 22:27:36 2002

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> That would be way cool, since we have this problem is so many modules...
> Any idea how you would go about this?  (Hint: if you provide details of
> what you want, maybe myself or someone else will code it up).

Well, I have a couple of general strategies in mind, and haven't figured out
which (or possibly more than one) that I want to/would be best to pursue:

1. Have a cron job that runs all reminders for all users that have requested
them. Pro: uses existing tech (cron, or scheduled tasks on windows). Con:
could be inneficient; would have to run fairly often.

2. Have several cron jobs - somehow create them per user, or more likely,
per application. Pro: probably more efficient, more parallism. Con: harder
to set up or do according to users prefs.

3. Have a cron job per interval? One that runs every 5, one every minute,
one every half-hour, etc... just thought of this one.

4. Have an honest-to-goodness Horde daemon that runs all the time, reads
users configs, and runs jobs whenever necessary. Pro: most efficient, only
runs when necessary, can fork off jobs. Con: hardest to implement.

4 could be based on some code I came across at some point for a sort of
cron-replacement class:
http://www.phpsex.com/classes/class.Scheduler.php.txt (i have it somewhat
cleaned up; have been poking at it for a bit, haven't really experimented,
though).

That's what's in my head so far.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."