[ansel] Re: Your Horde Apps

Brian Keifer brian at valinor.net
Fri Oct 24 09:23:56 PDT 2003

> Quoting Ben Chavet <ben at chavet.net>:
>
> > For the gallery view:
> >
> >   - group galleries by owner (ie "User X's Galleries") with "My Galleries"
> >     being listed first.
> >
> >   - IMHO it's not very importanto to be able to sort by name/description.
> >     Removing this functionality would allow the gallery list to be less
> >     list-like and more icon-like (kind of like my site).  Of course, this
> >     could be a setting in conf.php or a preference.
>
> My main concern with stuff like that is how it'll scale to large numbers of
> galleries. I don't have a real objection to making that change, though.

I think for many folks, sorting by name is going to be pretty important.  How
about letting the gallery owner manually re-arrange the list?  If the first
idea above does get implemented, I'd definitely like to see it as a preference.

> > For the 'Add Image' form:
> >
> >   - Allow adding more than one image at a time.  This is a *huge* time
> saver.
> >     My original photo album implementation only allowed one image at a time
> >     and it took forever to load even a handful of photos.
>
> Yes. There's actually already the xppublish support, btw; it's for a limited
> audience, so we should definitely add other solutions, but this is a *very*
> slick way of uploading multiple photos from WinXP.

Zip files, anyone?  Maybe handled via the normal upload screen, but once the
file is uploaded, it would open the 'batch upload' view, with thumbs and places
to enter descriptions for each.  Expanding on this, maybe a checkbox when
uploading for "Create new gallery?".  That way, if you upload a zip file it can
be slurped right into its own new gallery.

Everything else that I didn't quote sounds great to me.  It's good to see Ansel
finally taking off. =)

-Brian

--
I live in the United States of America, where we are gradually coming to
understand that nothing we do is ever our fault, especially if it is really