[turba] Multiple E-mail Addresses

Ian Turner vectro at vectro.org
Sun Mar 12 21:50:45 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I'm writing to enquire about the current state of multiple e-mail
addresses per contact. Currently (as of 5.2.16) it seems that by default
we still just get the one 'email' attribute. This must be affecting a
lot of people because if you type 'turba multiple' into Google, it will
suggest "turba multiple email addresses".

The FAQ <https://wiki.horde.org/faq/user/turba> suggests just creating
multiple contact entries and grouping them into a list. I can't imagine
that would work well with DAV or ActiveSync, nor with VCF import/export
for that matter. Is this still the preferred approach?

I noticed by browsing around that the kolab backend supports a
multiple-valued 'emails' attribute. Is there a reason this is not
supported by the localsql backend? Or if the kolab backend (really IMAP
it seems) is the preferred way to fix this, can someone give me a hint
on how to set that up with Dovecot IMAP? I gave it a shot but quickly
ran into bug 12449 <https://bugs.horde.org/ticket/12449>.

I also noticed while browsing around this HOWTO
<https://wiki.horde.org/TurbaExtraFields> on enabling extra fields in
the localsql backend. Is this the preferred approach to mulitple e-mail
addresses? And, if so, why is it not enabled by default?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Regards,

Ian Turner