[turba] Multiple E-mail Addresses

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Mar 12 22:47:48 UTC 2017

Quoting Ian Turner <vectro at vectro.org>:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm writing to enquire about the current state of multiple e-mail
> addresses per contact. Currently (as of 5.2.16) it seems that by default
> we still just get the one 'email' attribute. This must be affecting a
> lot of people because if you type 'turba multiple' into Google, it will
> suggest "turba multiple email addresses".

This answer depends on how you want them configured. If you want a
single field capable of handling multiple addresses, you need to add
the 'emails' attribute to the localsql configuration, and add the
object_emails (or whatever you want to call it) row to the
turba_objects table. Be warned, however, that this type of field will
cause problems with protocols like ActiveSync.

If you want multiple fields each containing a single email address,
see my comment below.

> The FAQ <https://wiki.horde.org/faq/user/turba> suggests just creating
> multiple contact entries and grouping them into a list. I can't imagine
> that would work well with DAV or ActiveSync, nor with VCF import/export
> for that matter. Is this still the preferred approach?
>
> I noticed by browsing around that the kolab backend supports a
> multiple-valued 'emails' attribute. Is there a reason this is not
> supported by the localsql backend? Or if the kolab backend (really IMAP
> it seems) is the preferred way to fix this, can someone give me a hint
> on how to set that up with Dovecot IMAP? I gave it a shot but quickly
> ran into bug 12449 <https://bugs.horde.org/ticket/12449>.
>
> I also noticed while browsing around this HOWTO
> <https://wiki.horde.org/TurbaExtraFields> on enabling extra fields in
> the localsql backend. Is this the preferred approach to mulitple e-mail
> addresses? And, if so, why is it not enabled by default?

This is if you want multiple email addresses in separate fields. For
example, if you are using ActiveSync, that protocol does not support
more than one email address per-field, so the 'emails' attribute would
not work. The provided backends.php file is designed to be a simple,
example, default configuration that can be tweaked. The page you
mention is specifically to match the mapping of ActiveSync email
fields and, in fact, are actually already present in backends.php, but
commented out.